Tall Turf Ministries Program Director Vacancy
Working at Tall Turf Ministries is a life-changing experience that develops leaders and strengthens faith in God.
Camp Tall Turf is one of the most diverse camps in terms of our staff teams and communities in which we serve.
Tall Turf Ministries build connections in southeast Grand Rapids year round, addresses injustice, and equips youth and families for lives of reconciliation through shared spaces, inclusive systems, and development of young leaders in our community.
Tall Turf Ministries expects all of its employees to conduct themselves with dignity and with respect for fellow employees, volunteers, campers, program participants, donors, service providers, the public and others.
Tall Turf Ministries is currently seeking a Director of Programs.
View Full Description
Why Work at Tall Turf Ministries?
Minimum qualifications for a camp director to maintain licensing with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) are outlined in the Mich. Admin. Code R. 400.11109.
Youth and Family Camp Responsibilities:
- Camp takes place in Walkerville, Michigan, about 90 minutes from Grand Rapids, typically from the first week of June through mid-August.
- Meals, lodging and activities are all provided for staff while on-site.
- Adult summer staff for Camp Tall Turf spend two weeks before camp begins in orientation. Staff are trained in safety regulations, emergency procedures and communication, behavior management techniques, child abuse prevention, appropriate staff and camper behavior, and procedures for supervision. Additional training for specific roles is also provided.
- 100 percent of the lead staff in counseling and programs are at least 18 years old.
Camp Planning Responsibilities
- In cooperation with the Tall Turf Ministries leadership team, the Program Director plans, directs and evaluates staffing and activities for youth and family camps.
- The Program Director is responsible for cooperating with the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) for application, administration and reporting in regards to the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP).
- Camp Tall Turf is an American Camping Association (ACA) accredited camp. ACA accreditation is intended to improve facility operations through adherence to clear standards relevant to all areas/operations of the facility, including safety, security, order, inmate care, programs, justice, and administration. The Program Director oversees records, planning materials and organization of ACA Accreditation and licensing in accordance with the MI Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
- Assists with communication regarding programs in the form of our website, social media and print materials.
- Tall Turf Ministries uses campus visits, Indeed, Christian Community Development Association (CCDA), Handshake and other avenues to recruit summer staff. The Director of Programs is responsible for reviewing summer employment opportunities, recruitment, interviewing and selecting summer staff.
Grand Rapids City Camp
The Program Director is responsible for coordinating a 5-day day camp program for children in grades 2 - 8 in coordination with our City Camp partner, Neland Avenue CRC. City Camp ordinarily takes place for one week during the summer and brings students entering 2nd-8th grade together for a week of singing, skits, memory verses, activity groups, and Bible lessons.
Youth Leader in Training (LIT) Responsibilities
The Program Director is responsible for recruitment, oversight and promoting sustainability of the Leader in Training (LIT) program. The LIT program is designed to create young leaders from all backgrounds. During the school year, LITs address social justice issues within the Grand Rapids community through service and action. LIT staff will be assigned to assist in programming, food service or other camp activities based on their experience and interests during the summer months.