top of page
Staff & Alumni
Spending your summer at Camp Tall Turf is a life-changing experience that develops leaders and strengthens faith in God.
Camp Tall Turf is one of the most diverse camps in terms of our staff teams and communities in which we serve.
Summer staff details:
- Camp takes place in Walkerville, Michigan, about 90 minutes from Grand Rapids. One week for City Camp scheduled within the City of Grand Rapids. Transportation to and from camp is available.
- Meals, lodging and activities are all provided for summer staff while on-site.
- Camp jobs range in pay from $40 to $70 per day, dependent on role and relevant experience.
- Adult summer staff for Camp Tall Turf spend two weeks before camp begins in orientation. Staff are trained in safety regulations, emergency procedures and communication, behavior management techniques, child abuse prevention, appropriate staff and camper behavior, and procedures for supervision. Additional training for specific roles is also provided.
- 100 percent of the lead staff in counseling and programs are at least 18 years old.
- The same qualities of trustworthiness and dependability sought by any employer are valued commodities in camp employees. Also, the ability to adapt to a variety of situations, empathy for and ability to work with camp clientele, a strong self-image and an outgoing personality are important characteristics for camp staff.
- All summer staff must have a clear criminal background check and provide copies of all relevant certifications.
Tall Turf Ministries uses campus visits, Indeed, Christian Community Development Association (CCDA), Handshake and other avenues to recruit summer staff. If you would like to partner with TTM in promoting employment opportunities, please contact our team.
Leader in Training (LIT) Program
YOUTH LEADER IN TRAINING (LIT)
The Leader in Training (LIT) program is designed to create young leaders from all backgrounds. During the school year, LITs address social justice issues within the Grand Rapids community through service and action.
LIT staff will be assigned to assist in programming, food service or other camp activities based on their experience and interests during the summer months.
Minimum of 14 years of age. Maximum age is 17.
Past Tall Turf Camper (not required).
Experience as a youth leader.
Every year, approximately 20 new summer staff people experience life at Camp Tall Turf, developing strong lifetime bonds. Our alumni stay engaged with the Tall Turf Ministries program through prayer, partnership, donations, board membership, participating in Family Camp with their young children and/or sending their children to our youth programs. Being part of the Tall Turf Ministries community connects people to others throughout Grand Rapids, Walkerville, the United States and even the world!
Learn more about the experiences of our diverse staff through Alumni Stories collected in 2020. If you have a story you would like to share, please contact our office!
Alumni, stay connected with each other and happenings at Camp Tall Turf Alumni Group on Facebook.
First Camp Tall Turf
bottom of page